Former President Asuncion A. Perez, Secretary of Social Welfare during the administration of President Elpidio Quirino, was the first and only WU-P President elected as president of ACSCU until yesterday when Turgano won by landslide at the 59th National Convention.
In his Keynote Address, Turgano laid out a comprehensive action plan focusing on:
- creatively developing multidisciplinary and transdisciplinary programs and courses dedicated to the attainment of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- ensuring that curricular programs are gender fair and inclusive
- establishing multidisciplinary and transdisciplinary research centers and institutes addressing global and national issues
- dedicating idle lands to become business incubators, demo-farms, innovation hubs, and learning laboratories that will help address the SDGs
- transforming campuses to be green communities, green campuses, and resilient facilities
- establishing a Center for Lifelong Learning in each ACSCU member school
- promoting lifelong learning in Basic Education
- making the General Education curriculum a laboratory or venue to discuss social, economic, political, and environmental issues
- aligning extension programs with the SDGs
- aligning QA assessment tools to include assessment of our contribution as Christian education institutions towards the attainment of SDGs
- being more inclusive in our perspectives and opposing policies against any form of discrimination
- providing technical support and sharing our expertise with government agencies
- remaining as strong institutions empowered with academic freedom in our pursuit of creating new knowledge, empowering individuals, and transforming societies
Turgano assumes office on August 1, 2021 with a term of three (3) years.